Saturday, December 02, 2006

Hidden Treasures

With the break in the weather, I decided to explore some old friends and new acquaintences. It's been almost 2 weeks since I've seen the Kestrels on 152nd St. I figured with the crisp, clear air, they'd be out patrolling the canyons of St. Nicholas. It didn't take me long to locate the female, perched on her favorite antenna.

She was having trouble holding on in the stiff breeze. Scads of sparrows scurried along the cornices.

She hopped from rooftop to rooftop, trying to surprise her quarry.


After observing her for a while, I decided to try to locate a pair of Monk Parakeets that had been discovered nesting along Amsterdam Ave. I had no trouble locating the nest. And soon, the industrious pair arrived...with fresh home furnishings!





They then flew into their burgeoning home.







As I shot these pics, many curious passersby wondered what all the fuss was about. I pointed out the nest and the inherent dangers with their location. Hopefully the owner of this apartment will choose the humane route and either carefully relocate the nest, or leave them to their colonizing activity.

No comments: