Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring March

The warm weather tide is finally shifting through the area. The city's red tails have begun to brood, phoebes and kinglets are coming through and crocuses and daffodils are bursting forth. Here are some pix from the parks in Northern Manhattan.



The cathedral female still testing out the nest!

On 152nd St., the kestrels are still together, although no mating was observed.



After attempting to find the new nest in Highbridge (I wasnt successful, although Bruce was), I spotted this female kestrel hunting on 211th St.

I watched amazed as she darted in on some sparrows.

With a squeak from the bird, she hit it in midair and drove it to a rooftop where she landed the fatal blow! This is her flying off with her quarry to consume it nearby.

Up at Broadway Bridge, I saw 2 juveniles and 2 adults(the adults were over Inwood, while one juvy was over the el while the other was waaay out over Kingsbridge. While I didnt spot the falcons, I did watch these two debate making a nest on the bridge mooring.



Wending back home, I passed through Columbia campus where a hawk darted just above my head!

Hawkmenijad!


Meanwhile, in the North Woods, I happened upon this chap, sunning himself!






No comments: